TBR Challenge 2019 Wrap-Ups

I'm running awfully short on time, so I'm going to do a three-fer wrapup post for the TBR Challenges.  Feel free to skip this long post!


For Mount TBR, I squeaked in with 25 titles read, one more than the 24 needed to hit my goal.  BUT two of those titles were read during my blogging break and did not get written up, so I don't know if Bev will count them.  Here they are:
  1.  Crime and Punishment, by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  2. Individualism and Economic Order, by F. A Hayek (well, sort of)
  3.  A Most Dangerous Book, by Christopher Krebs  
  4. Undine and Other Stories, by Friedrich de la Motte Fouqué
  5. Yeats Short Stories, by W. B. Yeats
  6. Black Earth, by Timothy Snyder
  7.  Kappa, by Ryonsuke Akutagawa
  8. Born a Crime, by Trevor Noah
  9. Drawn From Memory/Drawn From Life, by E. H. Shepard
  10. Elizabeth and Her German Garden, by Elizabeth von Arnim
  11.  Voodoo Histories, by David Aaronovitch
  12. Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, by Robin Sloan
  13. Roderick Random, by Tobias Smollett 
  14. Cat's Cradle, by Kurt Vonnegut 
  15. Jamaica Inn, by Daphne du Maurier
  16.  The Plague, by Albert Camus
  17. The Claverings, by Anthony Trollope
  18. Purge, by Sofi Oksana
  19.  The Green Face, by Gustav Meyrink
  20. Such a Strange Lady by Janet Hitchman
  21. The Bride of Lammermoor, by Sir Walter Scott
  22. The Road from Coorain, by Jill Ker Conway
  23. True North, by Jill Ker Conway
  24. The Radiance of Tomorrow, by Ishmeal Beah 
  25. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Armitage translation
Bev also likes us to do one of these games:

 A stitch in time...[makes a] Cat's Cradle
Don't count your chickens...[before a] Kappa [steals them]
A penny saved is...[worth spending at] Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
All good things must come.. (to) Jamaica Inn
When in Rome...[be] Such a Strange Lady
All that glitters is not... The Radiance of Tomorrow
A picture is worth... A Most Dangerous Book
When the going gets tough, the tough get [a]...Green Face
Two wrongs don't make...Voodoo Histories
The pen is mightier than...The Plague
The squeaky wheel gets....Purge[d]
Hope for the best, but prepare for...[being] Born A Crime
Birds of a feather flock...[to] Elizabeth and Her German Garden




For the Virtual TBR Challenge, I also aimed for 24 books, and I read 31 (I'm almost done with that last one):
  1. Annie John, by Jamaica Kincaid
  2. Agricola and Germania, by Tacitus 
  3. The Happiness Curve, by Jonathan Rauch
  4.  Born to be Posthumous, by Edward Gorey
  5.  The Light and the Dark, by Mikhail Shishkin
  6. Enraged, by a classics professor
  7. Essential Encounters, by Therese Kuoh-Moukoury
  8.  The Possessed, by Elif Batuman
  9. The Zelmenyaners, by Moyshe Kulbak
  10. My Sister, the Serial Killer, by Oyinkan Braithwaite
  11.  Women Talking, by Miriam Toews
  12. Baho! by Roland Rugero 
  13. Stories by Walter de la Mare, vol. 1
  14. Wisconsin Death Trip, by Michael Lesy
  15.  Walls of Jericho, by Rudolph Fisher
  16. Four Birds, by Thomas Dekker 
  17. The Book of Chameleons, by Jose Eduardo Agualusa
  18.  The Wanderer: Elegies, Epics, Riddles (Anglo-Saxon literature)
  19. The Assassination of Brangwain Spurge, by Anderson and Yelchin
  20. Kalpa Imperial, by Amgelica Gorodischer
  21. Paradise of the Blind, by Duong Thu Huong
  22. Works of Hartmann von Aue
  23. Secondhand Time, by Svetlana Alexievitch
  24. Lais of Marie de France 
  25.  The Palm-Wine Drinkard, by Amos Tutuola
  26.  Ali and Nino, by Kurban Said
  27.  Stories by Sigrid Undset
  28.  The Bride Price, by Buchi Emecheta
  29.  Babel, by Gaston Dorren 
  30. Four British Fantasists, by Charles Butler 
  31. The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck
The game for this challenge is My Life According to Books:

1. My Ex is Born to Be Posthumous
2. My best friend is The Possessed (ha!)
3. Lately, at work [it's been] Women Talking
4. If I won the lottery, [I'd visit] The Walls of Jericho
5. My fashion sense [is a]  Paradise for the Blind
6. My next ride [will be a] Wisconsin Death Trip
7. The one I love is [not] The Wanderer
8. If I ruled the world, everyone would [have] The Book of Chameleons
9. When I look out my window, I see My Sister, the Serial Killer
10. The best things in life are Essential Encounters


And finally, for Adam's challenge I did not complete my list for the first time ever.  I only finished nine titles and I'm three short.  Darn!



  1.  Undine and Other Stories, by Friedrich de la Motte Fouqué
  2.  Black Earth: the Holocaust as History and Warning, by Timothy Snyder
  3. The Book of Red Hanrahan. by W. B. Yeats
  4. The Claverings, by Anthony Trollope
  5. Kappa, by Ryunosuke Akutagawa
  6. Roderick Random, by Tobias Smollett
  7. Individualism and Economic Order, by F. A. Hayek
  8. Elizabeth and Her German Garden, by Elizabeth von Arnim
  9. A House Full of Females, by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
  10. Our Mutual Friend, by Charles Dickens
  11. Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, by Robin Sloan
  12. Jerusalem: the Eternal City, by Galbraith Ogden Skinner
  1. The Death of the Grown-Up, by Diana West
  2. The Obedience of a Christian Man, by William Tyndale

Comments

  1. Thanks so much for climbing along with me--and indulging me with the title games! Good luck for next year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think, so please comment!

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

A few short stories in Urdu