The Number is...

The Spin number is...lucky 13!


That means I'll be reading Pramoedya Ananta Toer's Footprints, the third volume in the Buru quartet.  Which is about Minke, a Javanese living under Dutch colonialism, and his journey from clever but naive youth to understanding and active adulthood.  Set at the start of the 20th century, this third volume is where it gets really political, and Minke becomes more clearly based on a real person -- Javanese press pioneer Tirto Adhi Suryo.


I kind of meant to read this last summer, so I'm glad to have a push to get it done.  My plan is to read all four.

Just to prove that I have indeed been there for every single Spin, here is the complete list of my Spin titles so far!
  1. Ake: The Years of Childhood, by Wole Soyinka
  2. A Streetcar Named Desire, by Tennessee Williams
  3. Niels Lyhne, by J. P. Jacobsen
  4. Far From the Madding Crowd, by Thomas Hardy
  5. Bless Me, Ultima, by Rudolfo Anaya
  6. Kit Marlowe plays: Doctor Faustus and Tamburlaine
  7. The Small House at Allington, by Anthony Trollope
  8. The Crucible, by Arthur Miller
  9. My Name is Asher Lev, by Chaim Potok
  10. A Bend in the River, by V. S. Naipaul
  11. The Story of My Experiments with Truth, by Mahatma Gandhi
  12. Prufrock and Other Observations, by T. S. Eliot
  13. Why We Can't Wait, by MLKJr.
  14. Light in August, by William Faulkner
  15. The Heart of Midlothian, by Sir Walter Scott
  16. Henry IV, Part I by Shakespeare
  17. And So Flows History, by Hahn Moo-Souk
  18. Constellation Myths 
  19. Crime and Punishment, by Dostoevsky
  20. Stories of Walter de la Mare
  21. The Bride Price, by Buchi Emecheta

Comments

  1. I've not heard of this one at all! I'll be interested in what you have to say. Isn't it nice the way the spins can give us that needed 'push' to finish books we've been meaning to get to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that sounds amazing. I think just a couple of month ago there was a movie based on the 1st book of the series. It's in its original language, but I'm not sure if it's available with English subtitle.

    Anyway, happy reading.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think, so please comment!

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

Ozathon #1: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz