Classics Club Spin #22

Yeah, I thought I wouldn't be able to hold out against a Spin -- Spins are my favorite!  This is Classics Club Spin #22, and you probably know the routine; if not, check out the rules.  The lucky number will be posted on Sunday, December 22, and the goal will be to read the book by January 31st.  So here are my Spin picks, which I have chosen because they are already present on my groaning shelves -- I don't dare bring anything new in until I actually read some of what I've got!

  1. Our Mutual Friend, by Charles Dickens
  2. Passing, by Nella Larsen
  3. Subtly Worded, by Teffi
  4. Lorna Doone, by R. D. Blackmore
  5. Amrita, by Banana Yoshimoto
  6. Thus Were Their Faces, by Silvina Ocampo  
  7. The Idiot, by Dostoyevsky 
  8. The Imitation of Christ, by Thomas a Kempis 
  9.  Forest of a Thousand Daemons, by D. O. Fagunwa
  10. Homeric Hymns
  11. The Red Cavalry Cycle, by Isaac Babel
  12. The Female Quixote, by Charlotte Lennox
  13. Footsteps, by Pramoedya Ananta Toer (Buru Quartet, vol. 3)
  14. Conjure Tales, by Charles Chesnutt
  15. For Two Thousand Years, by Mihail Sebastian 
  16. The Gray Earth, by Galsan Tshinag
  17. The Obedience of a Christian Man, by William Tyndale
  18.  Amerika, by Franz Kafka
  19. Pelle the Conqueror (vol.1), by Martin Andersen Nexø
  20.  Tales of the Narts (Ossetian myths)

Are you participating in the Spin?  If you've never done it, give it a try!

Comments

  1. I don't have Lorna Doone on my CC list (maybe next time), but I am intrigued by it. I am not sure if I am doing the spin yet. I have an abysmal track record for getting them done on time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd choose Our Mutual Friend because I've heard some surprisingly good reviews; The Idiot because I'd love to hear your thoughts on it; Homeric Hymns because I'd like to read them too; The Imitation of Christ because I might read along with you; and ... well that's it!

    I'm continually surprised that you can work (and previously homeschool) and have so much time to read. Blown away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurie, that's OK, the fun is in the randomness! Join in and have fun regardless of whether you finish. :)

    Cleo, I always feel like I have no time to read. I'm not sure how 187 books happened, even though I was there at the time. But also, the majority of my reading does not happen while sitting on the couch. I tend to read while doing other stuff -- which is why I'm bad at very large, heavy books. Chores and meals are good reading times. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to see your blog pop up again Jean in my Feedly feed.
    You and I are the only ones who have participated in all 22 Spins (I think we lost O at the last one). We should celebrate that and proclaim it loud and clear :-)

    I've spotted the Female Quixote on a few lists and Dickens is always a popular choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to see you back! Our Mutual Friend may be bad grammar (as Chesterton says) but it's a great novel. The Idiot and the Homeric Hymns are the other ones I've read & liked both of them. ("If someone asks you who the greatest poet is...") But as usual--and especially from you!--I want you to get a spin of something I haven't read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brona, I do believe we are! I keep meaning to go through and find all the former Spin posts to link to, as you've often done. I don't think I even have them all tagged properly. (Tagging old posts is another thing I keep meaning to do.)

    Reese, you're so kind! I feel like I ought to get the Dickens, because even putting it on my special TBR Challenge list this year didn't get it read -- even though I want to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, so many authors I don't know here! BUT I do have on my Japanese challenge list another one by Banana Yoshimoto

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your lists are always so interesting to me - so full of books I'm not familiar with. I've read some Chesnutt, although I can't remember now if it was Conjure Tales or a different collection. An interesting read, though. I hope you get something you love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Emma and Amanda! I hope you each get a good one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think, so please comment!

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

Ozathon #1: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz