The Picture of Dorian Gray


The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde

Everybody knows the story, so I'm not going to say much. I was not a fan this time around (I read it years ago in college). The character that was pretty interesting was Lord Henry, and you don't get to know him well at all. He never says anything that isn't a well-polished epigram, and he manipulates people as a hobby. He is truly, seriously evil behind his facade, and you'll never know him.

Or maybe you do get to know him in the new uncensored edition, but I stuck with the copy I've had for 15 years, and that's OK for me.

This is a re-read title for the November's Autumn Challenge. Maybe.

Comments

  1. I'm reading this one at the moment and its not too bad but I think thats because Im only reading one chapter a day so I dont feel too bogged down in it. I HATE Sir Henry though, not many characters get under my skin but he really does!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were a couple of poignant moments in the book where Dorian could have turned from the evilness (no, other word fits!) of his ways but chose not to. Particularly striking was when Sir Basil urges him to change and offers to kneel and pray with him but instead Dorian murders Basil. Sad ....

    I hated this book until about 2/3 of the way through but when I had finished I really appreciated how Wilde had crafted the story. It certainly didn't portray selfishness, lack of empathy for others, living for oneself, or evil itself in any way in a positive light. A good, but shocking lesson.

    I'm looking forward to re-reading it again some time in the future!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think, so please comment!

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

Ozathon #1: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz