2019 Georgian Reading Challenge

Here's one I've never done before: a Georgian Reading Challenge, hosted by Becky at Becky's Book Reviews.  Becky says:

Duration: December 1, 2018 - December 31, 2019
# of books: minimum four

Georgian Era can be defined as either 1714-1830 OR 1744-1837. You may choose how you want to define it in terms of the reading challenge. It covers the reigns of George I, George II, George III, and George IV of England. (If you go with the later definition, it also includes the oh-so-brief reign of William IV.) This includes the REGENCY PERIOD but is more inclusive.

There will be seven check-in posts. February 16, 2019; April 6, 2019; May 18, 2019; July 6, 2019; September 7, 2019; November 2, 2019. December 28, 2019.

"Official" theme song: Born 2 Rule (The Four Georges)

What counts:

  • Novels, poems, plays, short stories, novellas, letters, diaries, essays, nonfiction published in Great Britain (or its colonies) during the Georgian era. 
  • Nonfiction books published about the Georgian era. Including, of course, biographies on the royal family. 
  • Historical fiction set during the Georgian era. 
  • Books, e-books, audio books.  
  • Movies and television series set during this period--if you review them--can count. But try to keep things balanced.
You may make a list if you want to plan ahead...or read according to your whimsy.
I have a couple of Georgian novels on my TBR pile and maybe this will help me get to them!  A minimum of FOUR is a little daunting, I must say.  I don't think I can read four Georgian novels.  But Boswell's Journey to the Hebrides would count too, and I could read a history book or some Rambler essays.  The 18th century isn't one of my big favorites, but perhaps it will become such.

I declare my Georgian Era to be 1714 - 1830.  I shall eschew all things Williamite!  Sorry, William.

Comments

  1. The 18th is not exactly my favorite, either, but the Boswell book is great. Have you read his journals, by any chance? They are generally amazing, and the first volume, The London Journal is some kind of inadvertent masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, so far I've only read the Life of Johnson. A long time ago. It's about time I got back into some Boswell! I'll put the London Journal on my list too, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a copy of Boswell's London Journal. It's very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think, so please comment!

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

Ozathon #1: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz