Unexpected Magic

 Unexpected Magic, by Diana Wynne Jones

I chose this volume for March because I wanted to revisit that weird and nightmarish short story, "The Master."  I did that first, and ....it's really weird and nightmarish.  I'm not sure what else to say about it.  

Some of the other stories in this volume are for younger readers: "Plague of Peacocks, Fluffy Pink Toadstools, Auntie Bea's Day Out."  They each feature an upsetting, irritating older person who must be got rid of in various ingenious ways.  "Enna Hittims" is a twist on this, and must have been inspired by the final pun of Magic Markers really being magic, and bringing Anne's story people to life.  I really like that one.  (Funny how both DWJ stories featuring girls recovering from long illnesses have them named Ann/e!)

I have to say, I'm not a fan of "Nad and Dan adn Quaffy."  Maybe because I don't like coffee?  That story just really doesn't speak to me, though it's funny as DWJ sending up her own self.

Most of my favorites are toward the end of the volume.  I think "The Green Stone" and "The Fat Wizard" are both fun.  "Dragon Reserve, Home Eight" always makes me wish DWJ had written more in that universe; I love that story, and "Little Dot" as well -- it's nearly as nightmarish as "The Master."

I've written about "Everard's Ride" before.  It's a fantastic novella, highly recommended!

I have been reading other March Magics books; it's just been difficult to get around to posting about them.  Coming up: a visit to Egypt!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

Ozathon #1: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz