TBR Challenges

 Is three TBR challenges too many?  I guess we'll find out!  Adam is back with his Official TBR Challenge, and Deb can always be depended on for the Mount TBR and Virtual Mount TBR (for library books!).  Here we go:

The Official TBR Pile Challenge returns at Adam's Roof Beam Reader blog.  Adam requires that the list be selected ahead of time, and here it is, 12 titles plus two alternates:


  1. The Eternal Husband and other stories, by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  2. Our Mutual Friend, by Charles Dickens
  3. The High Book of the Grail (Perlesvaus), ed. Nigel Bryant
  4. We Never Make Mistakes and other essays by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
  5. A Word From Wormingford, by Ronald Blythe
  6. Needle and Thread: A Tale of Survival from Bialystok to Paris, by Charles Zabuski
  7. The Leaky Establishment, by David Langford
  8. Mink River, by Brian Doyle
  9. Magic Mirrors, by John Bellairs
  10. Model Children, by Paul Thorez
  11. Caldecott & Co., by Maurice Sendak
  12. Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds, by Charles McKay
  1. The Druids, by Peter Berresford Ellis  (possibly a new entry in the 'dodgy anthropology' section, don't know yet)
  2. Mysteries of the Middle Ages, by Thomas Cahill


Bev, on the other hand, only requires that we choose a number of books to read for her Mount TBR Challenge, and as always, I'm going for 24. 

Same for the Virtual Mount TBR Challenge -- 24 titles.


Phew, that's a lot!  Wish me luck.

Comments

  1. From your TBR Pile Challenge I've only read Our Mutual Friend, which I loved but I am a huge Dickens fan so that's not surprising! I haven't heard of that John Bellairs but I loved his early books when I was a kid -- I didn't know he'd written anything for adults, must look for this!

    I hadn't intended to sign up for any challenges this year but I might not be able to resist this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nice thing about this challenge is that it just makes me read the books that are already there and waiting. :) This Bellairs book is actually a collection of his short works that have often been hard or even impossible to find. Some of it is material I've read before, but much is new, and as a Bellairs super-fan, I'm super-excited. :)

      I've tried to read OMF once or twice, and failed so far, despite being a Thames/London addict. Imma do it this time!

      Delete
  2. Nice list! I'm interested to see what you think of these Russian titles.
    Here is my list:
    https://wordsandpeace.com/2022/01/03/2022-tbr-pile-reading-challenge/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jean, you've got an interesting list for Adam's challenge. I haven't read any of them, but I recently started reading John Bellairs so I'm interested to see what you think of that one. good luck with all your challenges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Bev, I am such a Bellairs geek it is ridiculous. I hope you love him too!

      Delete
  4. Good Luck with your challenges, I haven't read any of them so will look forward to finding out more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think 3 challenges is too many. But I might not be a very good judge of such things, given my own track record. :) Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think, so please comment!

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

A few short stories in Urdu