Anything Goes

Anything Goes, by Theodore Dalrymple

What?  a non-Gothic book? Yes, and I even read it a couple of weeks ago, but since all my blogging energy is going into MRJ posts, there's been little time to post about much else.

I like grumpy old guys who write grumpy books, and Theodore Dalrymple is probably the King of Grump.  (Well, except maybe Peter Hitchens--I read one of his books once and he made Dalrymple look like sunshine and roses.)  All that is not to say that I don't think Dalrymple has got some valuable things to say; he does.

Anything Goes is a collection of over 30 essays on some pretty random topics.  They were written between 2005 and 2009 for New English Review, a journal I'm not familiar with since probably it's a UK publication.

It is in fact a bit difficult to get Dalrymple's books if you live in California, unless you actually buy them.  I got this one as a Kindle book, and then read it on a road trip.  One advantage of e-books is that you can read them in a car at night without disturbing the driver with too much light.

Comments

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think, so please comment!

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

A few short stories in Urdu