On Tuesday 27th November, we’ll post a number from 1 through 20. The challenge is to read whatever book falls under that number on your Spin List, by 31st January, 2019.
Yes, you read that date correctly: the 31st January 2019!
This is an extra special, super-dooper CHUNKSTER edition of the Classics Club Spin. We challenge you to fill this spin list with 20 of those HUGE books you’ve been putting off reading because you didn’t have enough time. With this spin we are giving you the time – nearly 10 weeks in fact – to tackle one of those imposing tomes on your classics shelf.
This is an excellent plan. I usually put very few chunksters on my Spin lists because the time is short (but I always put a few, because Danger is my middle name!). So here is my Terrifying Chunkster Spin List:
- Crime and Punishment, by Dostoyevsky
- Dred, by Harriet Beecher Stowe
- The Adventures of Roderick Random, by Tobias Smollett
- Tales of the Narts (Ossetian myths)
- The Female Quixote, by Charlotte Lennox
- Light of Truth, by Ida B. Wells
- Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck
- Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo
- The Journal of a Tour Through the Hebrides, by Boswell
- Demons, by Dostoyevsky
- Lorna Doone, by R. D. Blackmore
- Tales of the Marvellous and News of the Strange (Medieval Arabic stories)
- Our Mutual Friend, by Charles Dickens
- Stories by Walter de la Mare (v. 1)
- Sky Loom (a collection of Native American myths)
- The Claverings, by Anthony Trollope
- And Quiet Flows the Don, by Sholokov
- The Golden Bough, by James Frazer
- Russian Folktales collected by Afanas'ev (v. 1)
- The Bride of Lammermoor, by Sir Walter Scott