Unaccompanied Minor

Unaccompanied Minor, by Hollis Gillespie

April is 14 (almost 15!) and living on the run--in airplanes, using her mother's flight attendant credentials to catch flights around the country.  She can often choose flights that her friend Flo is working on, and sometimes she can fly with her buddy Malcolm and his emotional support dog, Captain Beefheart.  April wants to live with her very nice mother, but for some reason the family courts awarded full custody to her horrible jerk of a stepfather, who leaves her on her own most of the time.  He hasn't actually noticed yet that April is gone.  Today's flight is looking good, with both Flo and Malcolm on board...until the body shows up.  The plane is being hijacked.

Although this feels more like a thriller than a traditional mystery story, a lot of it is unraveling a mystery--a really complicated one.  There is lots of action and it's all very exciting and fun, plus I learned a whole lot about airplanes.  I gave it to my 13-year-old daughter to read and she loved it (and promptly started looking up all the tips and tricks to see if they are real).

Comments

  1. This sounds really fun. Can I ask though: Are there any mean social workers in it at all? I have very low tolerance for mean social workers in books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um. I'm not sure?. I have be experience with family court? I don't know if I want to tell you that. OK, everyone, don't read this next line unless you are Jenny!!

    The guardian ad litem turns out to be bad, but she's a lawyer. There are no social workers unless you count the GAL. I don't know what you will think of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh. I said NO. I have no experience with family court. Autocorrect also tried to make me say guardian ad listen but I foiled that one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think, so please comment!

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

Ozathon #1: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz