Mount TBR Check-in

Bev at My Reader's Block says it's time for the quarterly check-in for the Mount TBR Challenge.  I'm pretty happy with my progress--two more books and I'll be done with the Mount Vancouver (25 titles) level.

Here's what I've got:


  1. The Story of an African Farm, by Olive Schreiner
  2. The Man in the High Castle, by Philip K. Dick
  3. The Book of Beasts, trans. T. H. White
  4. Mr. Dixon Disappears, by Ian Sansom
  5. Nightmare Abbey, by Thomas Love Peacock
  6. The Haunted Dolls' House and Other Stories, by M. R. James  
  7. The New Road to Serfdom, by Daniel Hannan 
  8.  Doctor Thorne, by Anthony Trollope
  9. Winking at the Brim, by Gladys Mitchell 
  10. Lovely is the Lee, by Robert Gibbings 
  11. A Collection of Essays by George Orwell
  12.  Erewhon, by Samuel Butler
  13. Warbreaker, by Brandon Sanderson 
  14. Decameron, by Boccaccio
  15.  Madame Bovary, by Gustave Flaubert
  16. Twenty Years A-Growing, by Maurice O'Sullivan
  17. The Communist Manifesto, by Marx and Engels
  18.  The First World War, by John Keegan
  19. Peer Gynt, by Henrik Ibsen
  20. The School for Scandal, by Sheridan
  21. The Golden Legend, by Jacobus de Voraigne
  22. A Distant Mirror, by Barbara Tuchman 
  23. The Penguin Book of Russian Short Stories 

Bev says I have to answer a question or two.

Looking ahead to next year's challenge: Is there a level that you'd like to see added (maybe a 30 or 35 level or some other number in between our current mountain peaks)?  

No, I think the levels are pretty good as they are. :)
 
Have any of the books you read surprised you--if so, in what way (not as good as anticipated? unexpected ending? Best thing you've read all year? Etc.)

I did not expect to love Madam Bovary as much as I did.  Nightmare Abbey was funnier than I expected, and the Keegan history on World War I was a tougher slog even though it was good.  And I thought The Story of an African Farm was a memoir when I started...



Comments

  1. It's been a long time since I read Madame Bovary (college). I remember liking it, but couldn't really tell you why now. Congratulations on being so close to the top!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think, so please comment!

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

A few short stories in Urdu