Friday, September 14, 2012

Some Mysteries

Lately I've been lucky and was able to re-join my gym.  I love going to the gym, but I need a book--and it can't be too hard to read.  So I like to read mysteries while I'm working out, and here are 4 mysteries I've read lately.

Rainbow's End, by Ellis Peters -- I've never read a Peters book in a modern setting.  I thought the victim's name was pretty improbable (Mr. Rainbow, really?), but the mystery was interesting and had nice medieval relics too.

The Man in the Queue, by Josephine Tey -- Tey mysteries are reliably good.  This one had some nice twists and turns and a manhunt in Scotland too.

The Pilgrim of Hate, by Ellis Peters -- This was a re-read but one nice thing about mysteries is that I nearly always forget who the murderer is.  Brother Cadfael has plenty to do in this story.

After the Armistice Ball, by Catriona McPherson -- The first volume in a new series set in the 1920s.  The detective is a nice, but not terribly exciting, wife and mother with a talent for saying what no one else will.  The mystery here is more realistic than Golden Age mysteries, and so more tragic.  Well-written and with lots of lines that made me laugh and read them out to my husband.

2 comments:

Aarti said...

The cover for the Armistice Ball looks great! Will look into the series if you think it is likely to get more promising.

Jean said...

I think I'll read the next one. I like the detective and she's kind of unusual.