Greek Classics Challenge Wrapup

All right, fellow Greeklings, it's the end of 2012 and time to wrap up the Greek Classics Challenge.  Did you meet your goal?  Write up a post, put the link in the comments, or just tell us all about it here.



 I read a bunch of things--I did manage to get to the final level--and though I wanted to read more, I am pretty happy.  I got quite a few plays read, and some philosophy.  I am not pleased that I didn't manage to finish Herodotus, and I have this beautiful Thucydides on my shelf--I'm sad I didn't get to that.  I still plan to read those things, though.  Thucydides is very intimidating to me; I read it in college and didn't understand a word.  I never do well with battles, really, especially in ancient wars.  (I tried to read Caesar's Gallic Wars last year and gave up in despair; it was incomprehensible and boring too.  And it's supposed to be easy!)

Here are the titles I read:

The Oresteia, by Aeschylus
Theogony, by Hesiod
Works and Days, by Hesiod  
Antigone, Oedipus the King, and Oedipus at Colonus, by Sophocles
Herodotus' Histories: Book I, Book II, Book III, Book IV,
Aristophanes: The Peace, The Birds, The Frogs
The Symposium, by Plato
Euripides: Alcestis, Medea, Iphigenia in Tauris, 
Helen 
Aristotle's Rhetoric
Plato's Republic 
Herodotus' Histories (more!) : Book V, Book VI,
Orestes, by Euripides

 If anyone is left, tell me how you did!



Comments

  1. Wow, that is one impressive list! I didn't do as well as I'd hoped. I wanted to read the whole Oresteia but only made it through Agamemnon. Oh well. Thanks for being a great hostess :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think, so please comment!

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

Ozathon #1: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz