Friday, December 28, 2012

Greek Classics Challenge Wrapup

All right, fellow Greeklings, it's the end of 2012 and time to wrap up the Greek Classics Challenge.  Did you meet your goal?  Write up a post, put the link in the comments, or just tell us all about it here.



 I read a bunch of things--I did manage to get to the final level--and though I wanted to read more, I am pretty happy.  I got quite a few plays read, and some philosophy.  I am not pleased that I didn't manage to finish Herodotus, and I have this beautiful Thucydides on my shelf--I'm sad I didn't get to that.  I still plan to read those things, though.  Thucydides is very intimidating to me; I read it in college and didn't understand a word.  I never do well with battles, really, especially in ancient wars.  (I tried to read Caesar's Gallic Wars last year and gave up in despair; it was incomprehensible and boring too.  And it's supposed to be easy!)

Here are the titles I read:

The Oresteia, by Aeschylus
Theogony, by Hesiod
Works and Days, by Hesiod  
Antigone, Oedipus the King, and Oedipus at Colonus, by Sophocles
Herodotus' Histories: Book I, Book II, Book III, Book IV,
Aristophanes: The Peace, The Birds, The Frogs
The Symposium, by Plato
Euripides: Alcestis, Medea, Iphigenia in Tauris, 
Helen 
Aristotle's Rhetoric
Plato's Republic 
Herodotus' Histories (more!) : Book V, Book VI,
Orestes, by Euripides

 If anyone is left, tell me how you did!



1 comment:

ShaReKay said...

Wow, that is one impressive list! I didn't do as well as I'd hoped. I wanted to read the whole Oresteia but only made it through Agamemnon. Oh well. Thanks for being a great hostess :)