Coming Attractions: Children's Literature in January

When the Classics Club got started, the hosts came up with a list of fun ideas for events and asked for volunteer hosts.  I jumped at the chance to do a children's literature celebration in January 2013.  I have quite a lot of children's books rattling around in my head, and I'm looking forward to the chance to share them!  (If I run out, I'll ask my mom, who knows much more than I do on the subject.)



Throughout the month, I'll be writing up pieces on classic children's authors.  Most of them will be lesser-known people so we can enjoy learning about some new people, but I may well throw in some more famous folks as well--so many of them had very interesting lives!


Amanda at Simpler Pastimes will be hosting a general children's literature readalong, with an optional focus on George MacDonald's The Princess and the Goblin.  Go check out her post and see what's up!  We'll both be posting a list of children's literature that we love and recommend for you to try.  For this event, we've decided to limit the menu to books written pre-1960.  This is a bit difficult for me to do, since it means leaving out some of my favorite modern writers, but this way we'll get to know more wonderful books that may have been undeservedly forgotten lately.

Amanda has also made these gorgeous logos for us.  I can't even get over how beautiful they are.  She has larger versions of all the images available upon request, and information about the original images is at her blog post.  Please pick one (or two!) to post on your blog with links to our blogs, and we'll get the party started!




Comments

  1. Looks like fun! I'll definitely be reading your posts, even if I can't do the readalong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you, thank you for linking to this one!! I was just thinking yesterday how I'd like a children's literature challenge, and bing bang boom -- here one is :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting! I'll be following the posts, and I hope I'll b able to join the readalong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really fun Jean! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to see the interest! (Phew, I'm not yelling into the empty vacuum of space...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the compliments on the logos, Jean. I had fun putting them together.

    Heh, now that you mention favorite post-1960 writers, I've got a mental list of a dozen or so more recent books I'd love to read/reread. Guess that'll be February....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think, so please comment!

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

Ozathon #1: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz