James-A-Day: The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral

Everyone loves Barsetshire, it seems.  I wonder if more writers have used Trollope's fictional county for short stories like this?  Angela Thirkell, of course, wrote a whole string of novels set in Barsetshire, but I didn't realize that anyone else had used it.  I think I need a list!

I thought it was interesting that this story begins with a hook I haven't seen MRJ use yet.  Here's a nice old man, but he died in a horrible way, and let's talk about it...wait, first I have to tell you how I got there.  It's badly overused now in television, where it seems like you see it done every week--the episode starts in the middle of some incredibly dangerous and highly improbable situation, stops right before everyone dies, and then says "Three days earlier..." and starts the story.  I wonder how common it was a hundred years ago?  Was MRJ using a well-worn trope, or one that hadn't yet been overdone?

Right at the beginning we get a hint that something isn't right and the poor old archdeacon was done away with.  Who could possibly put a stair-rod under the carpet unless it was on purpose?   (In case you are wondering, a stair-rod is a piece of hardware to hold a runner of carpet down on the stairs, like so.  I don't think I've ever seen one in real life, but maybe you have.)  You have to wonder, though, why anyone would bother to try to kill a 92-year-old man.

Dr. Haynes becomes the new archdeacon and settles in nicely for a while, but he starts having trouble with hearing things.  A couple of times he touches the carvings on his cathedral chair and seems to feel them move. The position of archdeacon comes with a condition, it seems: those carvings know if someone has "a Bloody hand" and will take revenge.  Dr. Haynes is not only haunted, he is fetched to his death in a manner suitable to the crime he committed.

What did you think of this one?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The White Goddess

The History of the Franks

Faerie Queen Readalong I: Redcrosse, the Knight of Holiness