Welcome fall!

 I pulled one of my periodic disappearances, just because everything (in the world) has been so overwhelming.  I have read virtually nothing but the fluffiest of Golden Age mysteries for the past couple of weeks -- mostly Georgette Heyer and Christie -- and I haven't found time to blog about the things I was reading before my sudden vacation.  I'm way behind on reading blogs, too!  I've done a good bit of embroidery, though, and I finished my lunatic labyrinth quilt project.  There are so many quilts I want to make, and so many embroidery projects to do!  Also, autumn has finally arrived, the smoke is gone, and the weather is glorious -- cool and breezy.  How lovely to be able to get too cold and put on a sweater!

 

I'm going to try to pull myself out of it this week so as to be ready for Witch Week, which is coming soon!  You'll find a post from me in the lineup, and I'm participating in the readalong discussion for The Graveyard Book.  I hope you'll join in too!


I guess the quilt requires a bit of explanation.  The pattern is known as St. Bertin, from a medieval French church, and is all one line; if you start at the entrance you'll end up at the center, after a very long trek.  The original was destroyed, but a replica exists.  I was originally going to make it in just two colors, as with the original, but when my daughter was on her Labyrinth (the movie) kick, I thought how much more interesting it would be to have the pattern move through different landscapes.  So I did a whole bunch of different fabrics, as though the traveler is going through stone alleys, woods, hedges, and whatnot.  As I said, a completely lunatic project, and pretty strange-looking, but I think it's cool.

Comments

  1. Oh my GOD, that quilt is amazing?? Admittedly I am in perpetual awe of anyone who can do quilting, but this is an exceptionally gorgeous quilt. Way to go! I hope you have many lovely nights cuddled up under it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on making such a beautiful quilt! It's very striking. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jean, I love your quilt! That is really neat, both the pattern and the color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I love the quilt! I immediately wondered if I could make a knitted version, using mosaic knitting. (Sewing is not my thing.) Or I will just take out your photo and look at it periodically.

    I've been reading Golden Age Mysteries too. Sayers in my case. It was good to read about some mysteries that actually had solutions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo, it would be quite interesting to knit the pattern! Not that I can knit. But I encourage you to do it!

    I'm so pleased at all the compliments :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think, so please comment!

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

A few short stories in Urdu