Classics Club November Meme

This month's Classics Club question says:
A meme rewind: Pick a classic someone else in the club has read from our big review list. Link to their review and offer a quote from their post describing their reaction to the book. What about their post makes you excited to read that classic in particular?
I went looking for reviews for books that I am kind of putting off reading.  You know how when something has been on your pile long enough, it starts to look unappealing just for having sat there too long.   I settled on Thomas Hardy's Far From the Madding Crowd, which I have successfully been avoiding for about 18 months now, and found that Helen of She Reads Novels has written up an excellent review (that avoids spoilers!).  Helen really did rekindle my interest in this book, and her last paragraph was even funny--quite a feat when discussing Hardy:
Of all the Hardy novels that I’ve read, with the possible exception of Under the Greenwood Tree, this is the most pastoral, with lots of beautiful descriptions of the countryside and lots of information on farming and agriculture. I should now be able to shear sheep, hive bees, forecast the weather by watching the movements of slugs and toads, and deal with a fire in a hayrick! (Well, maybe not.)
 Thank you, Helen!



PS: I have several good books waiting for me to write up posts for you.  Sorry about the radio silence when I've got great Polish literature to discuss, but my niece had a birthday party and all...

Comments

  1. Thanks for the lovely post! I'm glad my review has made you more interested in reading this book. I really enjoyed it and I hope you do too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think, so please comment!

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

Ozathon #1: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz