A Homemade Life

A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes From My Kitchen Table, by Molly Wizenberg

I've finally managed to find a food book to finish off the Mixing It Up Challenge!  Maybe after I read all those gardening and food books last year, I was just done for a while.  Anyway, challenge complete.

Molly Wizenberg writes a food blog, and as is so often the case, a book resulted.  (The book is not, so far as I know, made up of blog posts.)  Each short chapter talks about a piece of Wizenberg's life and then provides an accompanying recipe.  It's mostly autobiographical; she talks about her childhood and her parents--especially her dad--college, relationships, time in Paris, and eventually meeting and marrying her husband (who she actually met through her blog).

There are some great recipes included, many of which are interesting or different, not just your usual thing.  I'm copying several.  There is not so much in the way of philosophizing about the joys of home cooking or home farming and so on, which is just fine with me, but it is obvious that she mostly thinks home cooking is a great and wonderful thing.

A pretty good book, especially if you like personal stories, or interesting recipes.

Comments

  1. The author has some great recipes on her blog, although she hasn't been blogging much lately, since she just had a baby. Her blog is Orangette-- http://orangette.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You read all those gardening books, but aren't actually doing any gardening.
    I'm reading the Essential Urban Farmer right now. It's mostly stuff I know by now, but there are a few good tips. The section on Rabbits convinced me I don't want to do rabbit yet. Do you want to try breeding Rabbits? Katie would like it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, that is true. I do, however, homeschool my kids and work part-time and sew amazing things, so it's not all bad. Katie has been given permission to get a rabbit, but she needs to pay attention to the hutch and she hasn't yet. She's taken up with her new mouse (which, to the surprise of many parents, was the prize at the ward Halloween party--half the kids went home with mice).

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an interesting prize to be handing to the unsuspecting. Did it at least come with a cage? That cage I have that turned out to be too small for a rabbit would be perfect for a mouse.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think, so please comment!

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

Ozathon #1: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz