My Life in Books: a Tag

Courtesy of Lois at You, Me, and a Cup of Tea, who is evidently the best at finding these things.  I thought it would be fun for an end-of-year post.

Find a book for each of your initials

J -- Johnny the Clockmaker, by Edward Ardizzone (Js are hard! It took me a long time to find this one!)
K -- Kaleidoscope, by Eleanor Farjeon
L -- Leave it to Psmith, by P. G. Wodehouse
P -- Persuasion, by Jane Austen

Count your age along your bookshelf... What book is it?

Before We Visit the Goddess, by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni.  A wonderful novel and a fun thing to get, since I got to meet her a year or so ago.

Pick a book set in your country

The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck.  It's a definitive California novel, after all, and partly set in Bakersfield, where I was born.  I should really re-read it.

Pick a book that represents a destination you'd love to travel to

Hum.  I have a long list of destinations I would love to travel to!  I'll pick Ireland, and I have this interesting book about medieval Irish monks called Sun Dancing, so I'll go with that.  Besides, it's timely; back when The Force Awakens came out, I recognized Luke's island as one where Irish monks lived.  I was quite tickled to see the beehive cells in The Last Jedi.  (It's the island Skellig Michael, but it had been too long since I read the book for me to remember the name.)

Pick a book that is your favorite color

Er.  My favorite color is lime green, which is not a color that books really come in very often.  Looking at my shelves, I see exactly one: Lingua Latina II: Roma Aeterna (per se illustrata).

Which book do you have fondest memories of

I don't know about fondest, that's a pretty high bar, but when I met my husband, he had been living in South America and working hard, and had fallen out of the habit of reading for fun.  I lent him Howl's Moving Castle (a UK paperback edition which we still have), and it reminded him about leisure reading -- and hooked him on DWJ at the same time.

Which book did you have the most difficulty reading

Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War, because yow.  I didn't even get very far.

Which book on your TBR pile will give you the biggest accomplishment when you read it?

Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War, I guess.  Because it's STILL SITTING THERE.  Or, I also have the 10-volume Durant Story of Civilization, that one is a little daunting.


Comments

  1. We have almost the same initials - I'm KLPM. :) I like your JKL though!

    And hubby has just started the first unabridged volume of Gibbon (after reading an abridged one-volume years ago). I can't even imagine going through a hefty set like that or your Durant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen, I was going to be KJL but my dad thought it would be nice for me to be alphabetical. :D And I think Gibbon is even scarier than Durant!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think, so please comment!

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

Ozathon #1: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz