There are nearly 200 countries on our planet; let's see if we can read books from all of them! Or, since that's a large commitment, pick 50, 100, or whatever, as long as you have a minimum of 50.
I've been wishing for a while for some sort of project that involves reading something from every country, but this is a tricky prospect, since it is not always easy to find books from some countries. Clearly this isn't something that will fit into a year-long challenge -- not for most of us! So Esther of Chapter Adventures and I got together and thought a more long-term, open-ended project would be a good plan. Esther designed this brilliant image!
The basic rules:
- Pick 50+ countries or go for the gold with all of them! The number depends on you.
- Sign up at the project page here.
- Read either fiction by a writer living in/from the country, OR a non-fiction book about it, such as memoir, history, culture, language.
- There are no time constraints. You can decide on a timeline, but don't worry if you don't make it. If you're going for the full list, I'd recommend five years at least to complete it.
- Keep track of your reading. Maybe fill in a list or build a Google map of all your books and countries. Maintain it at your blog and post about the books you read.
- When you reach your goal, celebrate!