Back to the Classics Wrapup

Karen at Books and Chocolate hosts the Back to the Classics challenge!  A wrap-up post is required, so here we go.


I completed all twelve categories!  So I get three entries into the prize drawing, woohoo.  Here is my list:

1.  A 19th Century Classic-- Great Speeches of Frederick Douglass
2.  A 20th Century Classic -- Man's Search for Meaning, by Viktor Frankl  
3.  A Classic by a Woman Author. Northanger Abbey, by Jane Austen
4.  A Classic in TranslationMy Childhood, by Maxim Gorky
5.  A classic by a non-white author. Up From Slavery, by Booker T. Washington
6.  An adventure classic 
Under the Yoke, by Ivan Vazov
7.  A fantasy, science fiction, or dystopian classic.
Voyage to Arcturus, by David Lindsay
8.  A classic detective novel.
Brat Farrar, by Josephine Tey
9.  A classic which includes the name of a place in the title. 
Picnic at Hanging Rock, by Joan Lindsay
10. A classic which has been banned or censored.
Metamorphoses, by Ovid
11. Re-read a classic you read in school (high school or college). 
Last Tales, by Isak Dinesen
12. A volume of classic short stories.  The Collected Stories of Nikolai Gogol

There were some great books in this list, some of which I probably wouldn't have read without this challenge.  Under the Yoke was certainly the most unusual, least known of these books, and I had fun with it.  Voyage to Arcturus was pretty dang weird, and is probably one of the strangest books I read this year.  Picnic at Hanging Rock was good and I enjoyed it, but I didn't like the solution to the disappearance when I looked it up.  Of course, I loved Northanger Abbey, Up From Slavery, and Man's Search for Meaning -- probably everyone should read those books!

It was a good year for this challenge, for me, and I'm looking forward to the 2017 edition!

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed Picnic at Hanging Rock when I read it. Have you seen the film? It's very dated, but somehow very lovely at the same time. Very haunting.

    Well done for finishing the challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should really find the movie sometime. But I am terrible at watching movies so it will probably be years before it happens!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think, so please comment!

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

Ozathon #1: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz