The Un-Rest Cure

The Unrest-Cure and Other Stories, by Saki

I got this for Christmas!  It has illustrations by Edward Gorey!  I've always meant to read Saki and here was my chance.  Look at that beautiful cover.

The Unrest-Cure is a collection of short stories, most of which start off as ordinary events in upper-middle-class British lives but take a sharp turn toward the weird, the oddball, or the macabre.   Quite a few of them feature a young man named Clovis, who enjoys making a little trouble now and again..  They were great, and some of them were very funny, too.  (Or, on the other hand, horrifying; "Sredni Vashtar" is one of the selections, for example.)  There are one or two illustrations for each story and they fit perfectly.

A great book for a little relaxing dip into a weird story.  I will definitely be reading more Saki.

Comments

  1. Whoa, crazy! I was just yesterday bringing this book back to the library for my mother. I got stuck waiting in a long library line, so I read two of the stories and really enjoyed them. (I'd have kept it, but it was already like two months overdue.) I think Edward Gorey's illustrations are such a good pairing for Saki's brand of short story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading some Saki lately too. Love those short, ironic tales. Mine doesn't have the Edward Gorey illustrations, though, sadly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think, so please comment!

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

Ozathon #1: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz