Two Connie Willis Novellas

 Inside Job and I Met A Traveller From an Antique Land

I do love Connie Willis!  And so I'm willing to drop a few bucks on Kindle versions of novellas I haven't read.

 I Met A Traveller From an Antique Land features Jim, a blogger who has made a splash with his insistence that when things disappear, it's a good thing.  His blog, Gone For Good, argues that things disappear from disuse and a lack of need, and nostalgia is pointless.  Now he's walking the streets of New York on a rainy day after a radio interview, and he ducks into Ozymandias Books for shelter.  When he wanders into the basement, he discovers endless shelves of books, but the shelving system is odd and there are no prices.  Only after Jim leaves does he realize what Ozymandias Books really is...

Inside Job is hysterical.  Rob and Kildy run a skeptic newsletter in which they debunk psychics and quack cures.  Ariaura is the latest hot spirit channeler, but while they're sitting in on a seance, Ariaura's spirit guide is interrupted by a grumpy voice that announces that seances are claptrap.  Is Ariaura being haunted by...a skeptical spirit?  She blames Rob and Kildy, who decide to get to the bottom of the case.  This is a classic Willis screwball comedy/romance, the kind I like best.


 


In other bookish news, I'm not exactly in a reading slump, but the general state of the world has me reading comfort books exclusively.  I've read three Moomintroll books in the past two days and will probably read the whole series.  I read Witch Week to honor Witch Week.  And so on.

Comments

  1. These do sound like fun. I scarcely know Connie Willis at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Connie Willis is a lot of fun! Try some of her short things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound fun! I enjoy Connie Willis, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think, so please comment!

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

Ozathon #1: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz