About the Event: The Christian bible is one of the most influential texts in western literature. As someone who reads literature for pleasure/edification and who teaches Literature in English at the college level, I frequently re-familiarize myself with many historically rich texts from a variety of mythologies and cultures....
As a special note, I will be reading the bible as literature and crafting my posts as such. This challenge is not specific to nor exclusively meant for Christians; instead, it is for readers who are interested in learning more about a very important text in the western canon. As such, I invite anyone and everyone to participate, regardless of faith or lack thereof. Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, Atheist, Hindu, Agnostic, Mormon, Humanist? Come along!
What I would love is a lively and spirited discussion of the stories, philosophies, history, and cultural issues. We might discuss allegory, parables, comparative religion, metaphor, and symbolism to name just a few topics. The text will be treated respectfully and the discussions will follow in that same spirit — disparaging remarks about anyone’s beliefs will not be tolerated (and therefore all comments will be moderated). We’ll do our best!...
The Reading Plan
- January: Genesis 1 through Exodus 40
- February: Leviticus 1 through Deuteronomy 4
- March: Deuteronomy 5 through 1 Samuel 17
- April: 1 Samuel 18 through 1 Chronicles 2
- May: 1 Chronicles 3 through Esther 10
- June: Job 1 through Psalms 89
- July: Psalms 90 through Isaiah 17
- August: Isaiah 18 through Ezekiel 8
- September: Ezekiel 9 through Zechariah 14
- October: Malachi 1 through Luke 18
- November: Luke 19 through 1 Corinthians 8
- December: 1 Corinthians 9 through Revelations 22
I don't actually plan to post about this challenge here--I'll read along and participate in the discussions, which will be posted on Mondays. I'll maintain an image link on my sidebar, but that's about all you'll hear from me here, I think. If you want to join in, pop on over to Adam's blog to sign up.