Monday, December 7, 2015

And the Spin number is....

19!

Which means I'm going to be reading an early German sort-of novel, Simplicissimus, by Grimmelhausen.  This was recommended to me by my brother, who is a professor of Middle High German.  It was written in 1688 and is an angry satirical adventure of the Thirty Years' War, a vicious war that decimated large swathes of Europe.

It's quite long, and as I noted in my Spin list, I actually started it a little while ago.  I'm not very far in yet, and I definitely need some motivation, so this is a good thing.  Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Keely said...

This book sounds really interesting. I'll be looking forward to your review!

cleopatra said...

Wow! I admire your fortitude. I'll be awaiting your review with curiosity! And again, you win the award for the most eclectic book choices/discoveries.

Jenny @ Reading the End said...

Oh Jean, per uzhe you are an inspiration to us all. If this came up in my Classics Club spin, I'd probably just cheat and read something different. I do not feel I know nearly enough about the 30 Years War to derive any benefit from a satire of it.