The History of the Franks , by Gregory of Tours I was pretty scared of this book, which is a solid 600 pages of early medieval history. I should not have been nervous at all, because this history is crammed full of gripping stuff! Feuds, intrigues, miracles, and weird stories spill out all over the place. I had about as much fun with this as it is possible to have with 600 pages of early medieval history. Gregory was the bishop of Tours in the late 6th century, during the Merovingian dynasty of Frankish kings. He served through four reigns. His history is in ten books, and starts with the creation of the world, moving to Frankish history, and then to the history he personally witnessed. Of course he wrote in Latin. Book I is a summary of Biblical history, pretty much, except that Gregory continues through early Christian history up to the death of St. Martin of Tours in 397. I will admit to skimming this one, since I am already pr...
Happy St. David's Day to you as well!
ReplyDelete