Here's the information for the 52 Books challenge for next year. She has included a bunch of mini-challenges, but I don't know how many I'll pursue. The rules:
A new year, a fresh slate. Time to discover some new friends and rediscover some old friends. Make the challenge as easy and casual as you want or spice it up and challenge yourself. Explore a bit, but most of all have fun.
The rules are very simple and the goal is to read one book (at least) a week for 52 weeks.
- The challenge will run from January 1, 2011 through December 31, 2011.
- Our book weeks will begin on Sunday.
- Participants may join at any time.
- All forms of books are acceptable including e-books, audio books, etc.
- Re-reads are acceptable as long as they are read after January 1, 2011.
- Books may overlap other challenges.
- Create an entry post linking to this blog.
- Come back and sign up with Mr. Linky in the "I'm participating post" below this post.
- You don't have a blog to participate. Post your weekly book in the comments section.
- Mr. Linky will be added to the bottom of the weekly post for you to link to reviews of your most current reads.
1) Mind Voyages is a science fiction / fantasy challenge to explore the hugo and nebula winners, take side trips through the different decades reading the nominees, check out Philip K. Dick and Robert Heinlein. Also, Since I can't possibly imagine a reading challenge without exploring new releases that come out in 2011, we have the all inclusive Pluto challenge. Links to all the voyages are available on the Mind Voyages blog.
2) Read around the World: I probably did read around the world last year but didn't pay much attention. So this year I'm paying attention to setting. Keep track of where the story takes place and see how many places you end up.
3) Ireland Reading Challenge: or just stick with one country such as Ireland and read books set in Ireland, written by Irish Authors or with an Irish theme. Pick 2, 4, 6, or 12 books to read.
4) Jane Austen Mini Challenge: Read Jane Austen's books -Emma, Pride and Prejudice, Mansfield Park, Northanger Abbey, Sense and Sensibility and Persuasion. All can be found online here.
5) Well Educated Mind Mini Challenge: The Well Educated Mind written by Susan Wise Bauer is a guide to reading the great works. Read 3 books from each category: Fiction, autobiography, history, drama and poetry.
6) New Author Mini Challenge: Read at least one new to you author per month.
7) Try a new genre challenge: Read at least one book in a genre you've never tried before.
8) E-Book reading challenge: read at least 3, 6, 9, or 12 e-books this year.
9) Chunkster Challenge: Chunksters are considered books that are over 500 pages in length. Read one chunkster a month.
10) Read 12 classics in 12 months