Back to the Classics 2022

 Hooray, Karen at Books and Chocolate has decided to run her Back to the Classics Challenge for another year!  Here are the categories:

1. A 19th century classic. Any book first published from 1800 to 1899

2. A 20th century classic. Any book first published from 1900 to 1972. All books must have been published at least 50 years ago; the only exceptions are books which were written by 1972 and posthumously published.

3. A classic by a woman author.

4. A classic in translation.  Any book first published in a language that is not your primary language. You may read it in translation or in its original language, if you prefer. 

5. A classic by BIPOC author. Any book published by a non-white author.

6.
 Mystery/Detective/Crime Classic. It can be fiction or non-fiction (true crime). Examples include Murder on the Orient Express, Crime and Punishment, In Cold Blood.

7. A Classic Short Story Collection. Any single volume that contains at least six short stories. The book can have a single author or can be an anthology of multiple authors. 

8. Pre-1800 Classic. Anything written before 1800. Plays and epic poems, such as the Odyssey, are acceptable in this category. 

9. A Nonfiction Classic. Travel, memoirs, and biographies are great choices for this category.

10. Classic That's Been on Your TBR List the Longest. Find the classic book that's been hanging around unread the longest, and finally cross it off your list!  

11. Classic Set in a Place You'd Like to Visit. Can be real or imaginary -- Paris, Tokyo, the moon, Middle Earth, etc. It can be someplace you've never been, or someplace you'd like to visit again.

12. Wild Card Classic. Any classic you like, any category, as long as it's at least 50 years old!

 

Are you joining up too?

Comments

  1. I've been dithering about whether to do this (it would be my first time) but I also remember from years past that I don't do well with challenges that involve making a list of books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never make a list -- I just do my reading and fill in as I go. Or I think 'OK, what could I do for a non-fiction classic' and pick something right then. No lists required!

      Delete
    2. You can make up a list but it's not required -- and you can change it any time! I've never once finished the exact original list, I always end up changing something.

      Delete
  2. Yes! I just signed up as well. Look forward to reading about your picks!
    ~Lex (lexlingua.co)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think, so please comment!

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

Ozathon #1: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz