Piranesi

 Piranesi, by Susanna Clarke

I finally got my hands on a copy!  It's been so long now that it's out in paperback, so I'm probably the last person on the block to read it.  Since it's not technically on my summer reading list, it's a bonus; and if I run out of time I'll count it, ha. 

In an endless labyrinth of halls and statues, Piranesi wanders and explores, making careful notes.  This is the world and he, as a scientist, is bound to explore it.  Some of the halls are flooded, and the shifting tides are dangerous, but Piranesi understands how to live here.  The Other meets him every few days, and they exchange information -- it is the Other who calls Piranesi that, although it is not his name.

This is such an amazing story -- all otherwordly and fascinating, and very worth the wait.  You've just got to read it one of these days.  I loved loved loved it!  It's just wonderful.

 

 

What does 'Piranesi' mean, if that's not his name?  Piranesi was an 18th-century artist who drew lots of architecture, especially imaginary, complicated buildings.  His most famous work is a set of drawings called "Imaginary Prisons."  

By Giovanni Battista Piranesi - Leiden University, Public Domain

In other news, I'm making good headway on my 20 books of summer.  One is a WWII chunkster and I've set a goal of one chapter a day (usually about 20 pages or so).  I'm now halfway through and feeling proud!  I'm also excited to set out today on my first road trip in a ridiculously long time -- 18yo and I will be visiting my home towns and old friends.  And I'm going to go to the beach!  Yay!  Today I'll drive down the coast, and then we'll have to drive back up through the central valley, which will be very hot.  I sure am grateful that my car has decent air conditioning.  

So don't expect any posts for a few days -- see you late next week!

Comments

  1. Yayyyy I'm glad you finally got to read it, and I'm glad you loved it! I loved it too -- what a weird and charming book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think, so please comment!

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

Ozathon #1: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz