Time for the Classics Club Spin #23!

Woohoo, it's Spin time!  I was really hoping one would come along to brighten our quarantine time.   Of course, I'm limited to the titles that I actually have in the house (or on my e-reader), but I need to read those piles down anyway.  I tried to pick some that would work for other challenges, and I've tagged those, but only for a couple of them; they're pretty much all on my TBR pile, and many would work for the Reading Classic Books Challenge, whereas I'm having difficulty finding certain of the Back to the Classics requirements.


The Club challenges us to pick some titles we are excited about and others that are scary, which I have done.  I'm nervous about several of these!  But I've learned my lesson about the dreaded #1, so I put something fun in there.
  1.  Twelfth Night  (Back to the Classics)
  2. The White Guard, by Bulgakov
  3. For Two Thousand Years, by Mihail Sebastian   (Read Around the World)
  4. Stories by Nick Joaquin (Read Around the World)
  5. Marriage, by (somebody...)
  6. The Fortunes of Richard Mahony, by Henry Handel Richardson
  7. Thus Were Their Faces, by Silvina Ocampo 
  8. The Well at the End of the World, by William Morris
  9. The Gray Earth, by Galsan Tshinag
  10. Oblomov, by Goncharov  (Russian lit)
  11. Eichmann in Jerusalem, by Hannah Arendt
  12. The Obedience of a Christian Man, by William Tyndale
  13. Oroonoko, by Aphra Behn (Back to the Classics)
  14. The Female Quixote, by Charlotte Lennox
  15. Forest of a Thousand Daemons, by D. O. Fagunwa
  16. The Prose Edda of Snorri Sturluson
  17. First Love and Other Stories, by Turgenev  (Russian lit) 
  18. The Imitation of Christ, by Thomas a Kempis  
  19. Season of Migration to the North, by Tayeb Salih  (Read Around the World)
  20.  Our Mutual Friend, by Charles Dickens  (Back to the Classics)
OK, here we go!  Let's see what number comes up.  

Comments

  1. I was so excited to see your list because your choices are so eclectic and you always give me more books to add to my TBR. My choices would be The Well at the End of the World (I'd love to have your thoughts on it), Oblomov (I might even join you), Oroonoko and The Imitation of Christ because I have that one on my list as well. I'm looking forward to finding out the number Monday brings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twelfth Night is awfully fun, but as usual I'd rather you got something I haven't read! Tyndale would be fascinating, and I own (but have not read) The White Guard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, oh, oh The Fortunes of Richard Mahony!! I read this Australian classic a few years back for AusReadingMonth and simply adored it. It was epic, rich and loosely based on some of HHR's own childhood memories. If it was so chunky, I'd be tempted to reread it with you :-)

    But if it can't be Richard, then I wish you Dickens, although I spun The Tempest last time and it was a lot of fun.

    And yay to you and me for being the only 2 CC members to participate in ALL 23 spins :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a Hannah Arendt book on my list too: The Origin of Totalitarianism.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love The Fortunes of Richard Mahoney - I had to read it at school, but have reread a couple of times since - it is long but such a rollicking story. Also love Dickens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brona and Inkwellsue get their wish -- I'm going to read Richard Mahony! I'm happy with this, but wish me luck, folks, as my copy is on Kindle, and I'm not that good with ebooks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think, so please comment!

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

A few short stories in Urdu