Signing off, for the present

In the last week I've come to the rather sudden decision that I need to put this blog on hiatus.  It hasn't been a very fun decision; I so enjoy connecting with all of you about books, and Howling Frog has been a part of me for nearly ten years.  (I still think it's the most awesome blog name ever.)  But here we are.

I will still comment on your posts, and I'm planning on finishing my 2019 challenges.  I cannot stand the idea of not finishing them!  I'll still read my CC list and read around the world.  I am unhappy about doing this in the middle of Witch Week, so that I haven't participated like I wanted to do, not to mention all the other cool November events.  And what about the CC Spin, of which I have never missed one?  I'll have to figure out a way to do that...and I have a pile of books saved up for the Vintage Sci-Fi Reading event in January...

It's funny how much weight this decision has taken on in the last week.  I mean, I own the world's smallest, least read book blog.  In the grand scheme of things it's maybe not hugely important, and stopping shouldn't leave a trace, right?  But it's been important to me; it's improved my reading immensely to have the challenges, readalongs, and discussions.  When I read a book, I start mentally writing things to post.  I get all excited about sharing the books I read, and about reading the books you all share.  It's so nice to have booky friends scattered all over the place.

I don't know if this is permanent, so I'm going to just leave it all here.  It's for a while, anyway.  Who knows.  Meanwhile, remember...to be literate is to possess the cow of plenty.



Comments

  1. Oh, no! I hope this is just a hiatus (the pause that refreshes?) and not a cessation. Because I do like reading about what you've read & have learned a bunch from it. Here's hoping that the lure of completing those challenges doesn't let stop entirely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you come back soon, Jean! We will miss your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it's more about habits of mind than actually writing, at least most of the time.

    Best of luck with your continued reading. Less writing may well mean more plentiful cows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been a total lurker here, but I will miss reading your posts.

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa Jean, way to stun me on my morning commute! I can understand your decision, the life/blog balance sometimes seems hard to maintain. But I will miss your posts and do hope you'll keep visiting and commenting. I think your blog may be more read than you imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Noooooo! Your blog has been such a gift! You find books and review books that few others do and therefore it's filled such an important niche. Also, you're such an awesome person I would be so sad to lose touch (perhaps I should have put that first, ha ha!) In any case, I suppose you must do what you must do but I hope you reconsider. Are we still reading The Grapes of Wrath in December? If it doesn't work for you, I do have someone else that wanted to read it with us, so I won't be left alone, but I hope you're still in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, everybody, it's so nice to hear from you all. I guess we'll see how it goes. But Cleo, I would love to still have a readalong of Grapes of Wrath!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent! I'm not going to host officially but you, me and Karen can read through the month together. Hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you enjoy your time away from the blog, and come back to it refreshed! It's good to take a break once in a while, and decide how you feel about it while you're away. I've enjoyed reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Life keeps getting in the way of me going back to my blog so I totally understand this. I don't comment as much because of life but I do try and read all of your posts and I will miss them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I understand this so well. The book blogging world is not what it was, and I am not what I am in terms of, like, free time. So I am constantly fretting over my blog and how inadequately I update it and how inadequately I comment on other people's blogs, and it does get to be a stress. But I will miss you, and I do hope that you find a time to come back at some point. <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jean

    Just popping by to let you know that the latest CC Spin went live yesterday. If you're not up to blogging, perhaps you could still just make a list and write it up in the comments on the club page?

    I don't want to be left as the last man standing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I understand the push and pull of blogging; wanting to do it, composing posts while reading, and at the same time...needing a break. I am glad that you are participating in the Japanese Literature Challenge 13, and of course, there’s no need to have a blog up and running to do so. Who knows, maybe this will be the impetus that causes us both to rejoin blogging with enthusiasm? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think, so please comment!

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

Ozathon #1: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz