2011 Challenges Wrap-Up

I'm a few days early, but I'm going to wrap things up now.

The Year of Feminist Classics Challenge: I read nearly all the selections, but opted out of God Dies by the Nile, The Second Sex, and the academic anthology (I looked at it!). I'm pretty satisfied with that even though I don't get to tick all the boxes, but the real point is that I got to read a lot of great books and enjoyed them very much.

A Vindication of the Rights of Women by Mary Wollestonecraft
So Long a Letter
by Mariama Ba
The Subjection of Women by John Stuart Mill and Harriet Taylor Mill
A Doll’s House by Henrik Ibsen
Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
A Room of One’s Own by Virginia Woolf
God Dies by the Nile by Nawal Saadawi
The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir
The Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong Kingston
The Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf
Ain’t I a Woman? by bell hooks
Third World Women and the Politics of Feminism Anthology

Gender Trouble by Judith Butler
Sister Outsider by Audre Lorde



Victorian Literature Challenge: I originally aimed for the lowest level, but ended up at the highest, with 15 titles:

Idylls of the King, by Tennyson
The Professor, by Charlotte Brontë
Uncle Tom's Cabin, by Harriet Beecher Stowe
Under the Greenwood Tree, by Thomas Hardy
The Subjection of Women by John Stuart Mill and Harriet Taylor Mill
A Doll’s House by Henrik Ibsen
Barchester Towers, by Anthony Trollope
Herland, by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
The Heir of Redclyffe, by Charlotte Yonge
The Frozen Deep, by Wilkie Collins
Vanity Fair, by William Makepeace Thackeray
Victorian Tales of Mystery and Detection
Short prose selections by Alexander Pushkin
Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon
Phantastes, by George MacDonald


Take a Chance Challenge 3: This one was fun! And it really did get me reading some books I would not have picked up otherwise.

1: Staff Member’s Choice: Pnin, by Nabokov

2: Loved One’s Choice: The Russian's World AND The Twentieth Wife

3: Blogger’s Choice: Plain Kate, by Erin Bow

4: Critic’s Choice: The Age of Wonder

5: Blurb Book: Seeing Voices, by Oliver Sacks

6: Book Seer Pick: The Pedant and the Shuffly, by John Bellairs

7: What Should I Read Next Pick : Are Women Human? by Dorothy Sayers

8: Which Book Pick: Elegance

9: LibraryThing Pick: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime

10: Pick A Method: The Mystic Grail AND On Her Majesty's Secret Service


Finally, The 52 Books in 52 Weeks Challenge! I read way more than that this year (I tried to have two for every week and nearly succeeded), so this is completed. Don't worry, I'm not going to list them all. I also tried the Read Around the World Mini-Challenge, and if you look at my lovely map on the sidebar you can see that I read in a bunch of states and countries. I think I covered 29-30 countries and 26 states. I found that I am pretty hopeless about the Southern Hemisphere, especially South America and Australia, and also I read an awful lot about the UK. Kind of embarrassing... In the US, it turns out that most non-fiction writers live on the East Coast.

I'm happy with all I've gotten read this year and am looking forward to the new 2012 challenges a lot!

Comments

  1. It sounds like you've had a awesome year of reading! I really wanted to join the Year of Feminist Classics challenge but it just didn't happen. I'm planning to join your Greek Classics challenge I just need to get organized and put together a post. I love the owl!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think, so please comment!

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

Ozathon #1: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz