Take a Chance: Elegance


Elegance, by Kathleen Tessaro

8: Which Book Pick: Go to Which Book and use the software to generate a list of books. Read a book from that list.

I asked for a fun book and this is what I got. Sort of chick-lit, it's about Louise, who is unhappy about her sad-sack life and her empty marriage. She finds an old 50's book titled A Guide to Elegance (evidently a real book!) and starts to revamp her life. As she pulls herself together, she has to start confronting her issues--and there are a lot of them, starting with her husband, who is in denial that he's gay. Louise has her ups and downs as she tries to straighten out her life with the occasional aid of her trusty book on elegance.

I liked the book OK and it had some really really funny bits, but I was a bit surprised at how many issues Louise had to dig up and deal with. She's a mess, and that's kind of unexpected for the way it started out. So it wasn't as light as I had been hoping for. (Also there is more swearing than I really prefer.) But overall I did enjoy it, especially some of the humor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

A few short stories in Urdu