Duration: December 1, 2018 - December 31, 2019I have a couple of Georgian novels on my TBR pile and maybe this will help me get to them! A minimum of FOUR is a little daunting, I must say. I don't think I can read four Georgian novels. But Boswell's Journey to the Hebrides would count too, and I could read a history book or some Rambler essays. The 18th century isn't one of my big favorites, but perhaps it will become such.
# of books: minimum four
Georgian Era can be defined as either 1714-1830 OR 1744-1837. You may choose how you want to define it in terms of the reading challenge. It covers the reigns of George I, George II, George III, and George IV of England. (If you go with the later definition, it also includes the oh-so-brief reign of William IV.) This includes the REGENCY PERIOD but is more inclusive.
There will be seven check-in posts. February 16, 2019; April 6, 2019; May 18, 2019; July 6, 2019; September 7, 2019; November 2, 2019. December 28, 2019.
"Official" theme song: Born 2 Rule (The Four Georges)
You may make a list if you want to plan ahead...or read according to your whimsy.
- Novels, poems, plays, short stories, novellas, letters, diaries, essays, nonfiction published in Great Britain (or its colonies) during the Georgian era.
- Nonfiction books published about the Georgian era. Including, of course, biographies on the royal family.
- Historical fiction set during the Georgian era.
- Books, e-books, audio books.
- Movies and television series set during this period--if you review them--can count. But try to keep things balanced.
I declare my Georgian Era to be 1714 - 1830. I shall eschew all things Williamite! Sorry, William.
- The Unknown Ajax, by Georgette Heyer
- The Adventures of Roderick Random, by Tobias Smollett
- A Journey to the Hebrides, by Johnson and Boswell