2019 Chunkster Challenge
Host: Becky's Book Reviews (sign up here)
Duration: December 2018 - December 2019
# of books: Ultimately up to you
The mission: see how many points you can earn reading chunksters in 2019. Can you earn 100 points and get that A+?
Each book will have a point value attached to it. Bonus points are possible so you can earn extra credit to help you get that perfect grade.
E-books do count if their print counterparts are over 450 pages.
Audio books, if unabridged, DO count if their print counterparts are over 450 pages.
If a book is over 450 in large print, but NOT over 450 in regular print, then it doesn't count.
- Middle Grade and Young Adult Novels over 450 pages -- 3 points
- Middle Grade and Young Adult Novels over 700 pages -- 5 points
- Adult Novels over 450 pages -- 5 points
- Adult Novels over 825 pages -- 10 points
- Nonfiction over 450 pages, any age audience -- 5 points
- Anthologies (short stories, plays, essays, sermons, poetry) over 450 pages, any audience, 3 points*
- Omnibus edition of an author's work over 450 pages, 3 points**
- If you complete an entire series and each of the books in the series qualifies as a chunkster, you earn an additional bonus point.
- If you read four or more (series OR non-series books) by the same author--each one qualifying as a chunkster--you earn an additional bonus point.
- If you read a chunkster that has been translated into English, you earn an additional bonus point.
- If you read two or more new-to-you authors, you earn an additional bonus point.
- For every chunkster classic you read that was published before 1800, you earn an extra two points.
- For every chunkster classic you read that was published before 1900, you earn an extra one point.
- If you choose to make a list, you can give yourself an extra point every time you finish a book from the list.
I don't think I can earn 100 points, but I can see how it goes. Excelsior!
- Crime and Punishment, by Fyodor Dostoevsky -- 7 points
- Born to be Posthumous, -- 5 points
- Black Earth, by Timothy Snyder -- 5 points
- The Adventures of Roderick Random, by Tobias Smollett -- 7 points
- The Assassination of Brangwain Spurge, by Anderson and Yelchin -- 4 points (bonus for second new author)
- The Claverings, by Anthony Trollope -- 6 points
- Secondhand Time, by Svetlana Alexievich -- 6 points
- Every Secret Thing, by Patricia Hearst -- 5 points